Who is Arun Majumdar?
Arunava Majumdar also known as Arun Majumdar is a material scientist, engineer, and professor. He was President Barack Obama’s nominee for the position of Under Secretary of Energy between November 30, 2011, and May 15, 2012. Previously, he served as the Director of the Environmental Energy Technologies Division at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. He also served as a deputy director of LBNL along with a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of California, Berkeley. Majumdar was the first nominated director of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPAA-E). He was appointed to that position in September 2009.
|Full Name||Arunava Majumdar|
|Education||University of CaliforniaIndian Institute of Technology|
Arun Majumdar Education:
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, Mechanical Engineering in 1989
- MS, University of California, Berkeley, Mechanical Engineering in 1987
- BTech, Indian Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering in 1985
Arun Majumdar Career
Arun Majumdar joined Google leading Google.org’s energy initiatives and on the advisory board of the company on their broader energy strategy. Currently, he serves as the Jay Precourt Professor at Stanford University. There he serves on the Department of Mechanical Engineering as well as he is a Senior Fellow of the Precourt Institute for Energy.
Arun Majumdar has performed his scientific work in several fields such as thermoelectric materials, thermal management, heat and mass transfer, and waste heat recovery. He has also published many research papers, patents, and conference proceedings. Arun Majumdar co-published a paper with Steven Chu, United States Secretary of Energy on Opportunities and Challenges for a Sustainable Energy Future on August 16, 2012. He also gave a talk on the paper on the subject at Stanford University.
He is also serving as a member of the National Academy of Engineering. In 2014, he was one of the Science Envoys of the U.S.
Arun Majumdar was nominated as a volunteer member for Joe Biden’s presidential transition Agency Review Team in November 2020. He served to support the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, United States Department of Energy, and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Awards and Achievements:
- Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2013
- Aurel Stodola Medal and Lecture, ETH Zurich in 2010
- Heat Transfer Memorial Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 2006
- Member, United States National Academy of Engineering in 2005
- Miller Professorship, University of California, Berkeley in 2003-2004
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay in 2003
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2002
- Fellow, American American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 2002
- Gustus Larson Memorial Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers in 2001
Arun Majumdar Net Worth
Arun Majumdar’s net worth is estimated to be around $850,000.