Jack Reed Bio
Jack Francis Reed is an American politician who worked as Rhode Island’s senior U.S. senator, a seat to which he was first elected in 1996. He is a member of the Democratic Party. He was the representative for the 2nd congressional district of Rhode Island from 1991 to 1997. He is the dean of the congressional delegation from Rhode Island.
|Full name||John Francis Reed|
|Date of birth||November 12, 1949|
|Age||71 years old|
|Birth Place||Cranston, Rhode Island|
|Home town||Jamestown, Rhode Island|
|Marital Status||Married (Julia Hart)|
|Children||One daughter (Emily)|
|Social Media||Facebook/ Instagram/ Twitter|
|Net Worth||Approx. $5 million|
Jack was born on 12th November 1949. In Cranston, Jack was born in Cranston, Rhode Island. Jack is 71 years old as of 2020. The birth sign of Jack Reed is Scorpio. He is roman catholic. His father was a Cranston school janitor who worked in becoming the custodial supervisor of the school system of the file. He was also a veteran of World War II. His mother Mary was a homemaker who could not go to college on her own. She made sure that her three children studied hard and had the chance to pursue higher education.
Jack Reed Education
Jack grew up attending elementary school at St. Matthew’s in Cranston. He graduated from Providence’s La Salle Academy. He was nominated by the United States for an appointment to the US Military Academy. Reed graduated from the Military Academy of the United States. He worked in the U.S. Army from 1971 to 1979 as an active officer. From Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, he received a Master’s degree in public policy. In 1982, Reed also went on to obtain a law degree from Harvard Law School.
Jack Reed Career
After graduating from law school, Jack became an attorney in private practice. He worked as an associate with the Sutherland, Asbill, & Brennan law firm. He specialized in the law of banking and securities.
Reed was elected to the House of Representatives of the United States in 1990, receiving 59 percent of the vote in the general election. Reed concentrated on education and health care for the next six years. Reed declared his candidacy in 1996. With 86 percent of the vote, Reed won against the Republican nominee, Rhode Island General Treasurer Nancy Mayer. Reed ran for re-election to a second term in 2002 and won the election.
He ran for re-election for a third term in 2008. He faced a primary challenge that he turned aside easily winning with 87% of the vote. Reed won a landslide victory again by 73 to 27 percent. Reed was mentioned in 2008 as Barack Obama’s potential Vice Presidential running mate. Reed announced on 14 July 2008 that he was not interested’ in becoming Obama’s running mate.
Reed has been consistently speculated about being a possible Secretary of Defense. He turned down President Obama’s offer in late 2010 to succeed Robert Gates as Secretary of Defense. After President Obama was re-elected in 2012, Reed was again mentioned as a potential nominee for both the Secretary of Defense and the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. He denied interest in either position once again. In May 2014, Reed announced he would run for re-election to a fourth term in office.
Jack Reed Works
- Reed has been a preventive healthcare advocate. He supports increasing Medicare funding in line with other Democrats, enrolling more Americans in programs. The program negotiate Medicare bulk purchases of medicines to lower costs.
- Fairtrade policies have generally been supported by Reed over similar ones advocating free trade. For ‘fast-tracking’ normalized trade relations, he voted against renewing presidential authority. Reed opposed CAFTA and similar proposals for countries such as Chile, Singapore, Peru, and Oman for free trade. However, in favor of normalizing trade relations with China, Reed voted.
- He has also been a strong supporter of unionizing employees and criticized the interference of government and business with these groups. Reed supports increasing the minimum wage and compensation for unemployment.
- Reed promotes affirmative intervention. He has voted to expand such policies and to set aside money from the highway fund for women and minorities.
- Reed has also supported gay rights by voting against a proposed constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage. He also voted for measures to prevent discrimination at work and hate crimes against LGBT people.
- He is strongly in favor of abortion rights and has rejected proposals to restrict late-term abortion.
- Reed advocates restricting the use of American oil and expanding alternative energy. He opposes drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and federal oil exploration subsidies. Reed has voted to end discussions on standards for the Corporate Average Fuel Economy.
- He has also been an outspoken advocate of greater mercury use restrictions, as well as an end to commercial whaling.
- Reed has voted against restricting gun producers’ lawsuits and has favored expanding gun control. He routinely voted for legislation supporting the 2nd Amendment while serving in the state senate and received high ratings from the NRA state affiliate.
- Reed generally supported allowing illegal immigrants and foreign workers to enter the path of citizenship. He supports Guest Worker programs and allows access to Social Security for immigrants.
- He is the author of the Reed Amendment, which allows former U.S. citizens, if they are believed to have resigned for tax reasons, to be denied entry to the country.
Jack Reed Relationship
Jack Reed and Julia Hart are married in a Catholic ceremony in 2005. In January 2007, their daughter Emily was born.
Jack Reed Social Media
Jack has an account on Instagram with an account, sen_jack_reed with 117 followers. He has not posted in his account up to this date.
Jack is active on Twitter with an account, Senator Jack Reed with 101.2k followers (joined in February 2012).
Jack has the official campaign account named Jack Reed. He joined in May 2020 and has 405 followers.
Jack reed has a Facebook page account, Senator Jack Reed with 15k followers.
Jack Reed Net Worth
The estimated net worth of Jack Reed is approximately $ 5 million. His primary source of income is his politics.