Who is Mike Lee?
Michael Shumway Lee, most commonly known as Mike Lee is an American politician, attorney, and author. He is Utah’s 16th Senator. In 2010, Lee was elected to the United States Senate. He began representing the senate on January 3, 2011. He is a Republican.
Personal Details on Mike Lee
|Full Name||Michael Shumway Lee|
|Nick Name||Mike Lee|
|Birth Date||June 4, 1971|
|Age||49 years old|
|Birth Place||Mesa, Arizona, U.S.|
|Current Residence||Utah, U.S.|
|Education||Brigham Young University (BA, JD)|
|Profession||Politician, Author, Attorney|
|Father||Rex E. Lee|
|Social Media||Instagram / Twitter / Facebook|
Mike Lee Age, Birthday
Mike Lee was born on 4th June 1971, in Mesa, Arizona, United States. He is forty-nine years old as of October 2020. He celebrates his birthday on 4th June, each year.
Mike Lee Family, Early Life
Mike Lee was born to Rex E. Lee and Janet Griffin. He was born to a Mormon family. His family moved to Provo, Utah when his father became the first dean of Brigham Young University J. Ruben Clark Law School. He spent half of his childhood in Utah and half in McLean Virginia. Elder Lee also served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney General from 1975 to 1976 and the solicitor general in the United States President Ronald Regan’s administration from 1981 to 1985. His brother, Thomas R. Lee who is an Associate Chief Justice of the Utah Supreme Court.
Mike Lee Education
In 1989, Mike Lee graduated from Timpvient High School, Provo, Utah. He earned a Bachelor’s degree in political science in 1994 from Brigham Young University. During high school days, Mike served as the president of BXUSA, a student service organization, and also as a student body president. He gained Juris Doctor in 1997 from J. Reuben Clark Law School.
Mike Lee Career
After graduating from law school, Mike Lee began his career as a law clerk to Judge Dee Bonson of the United States District Court for the District of Utah. In 1998, he also served for Samuel Alito as a clerk for Samuel Alito at the Third Circuit Court of the U.S. Court of Appeals. Then, he joined the Washington, D.C. office as an assistant U.S. attorney from 2002 to 2005. Lee returned to Utah and served as an assistant attorney in Salt Lake City for the Tenth Circuit. He became the general counselor to John M. Huntsman, Utah Governor, from January 2005 to June 2006 in Washington. But he left after a year. Mike Lee returned to Utah in 2007 to join Salt Lake.
In 2010 Mike Lee ran for the U.S. Senate. On June 22, 2010, Lee won the primary election by winning a 51% vote. Mike Lee won the general election with 62% of the votes on November 2, 2010. Mike Lee won re-election in 2016.
Mike Lee serves as a member of the Judiciary Committee. He serves as Chairman of the Antitrust, Competition Policy, and Consumer Rights Subcommittee which protects personal freedom and business competition. Mark Lee overviews on the issues, Public Lands, Forests and Mining of the Energy, and Natural Resources Committee. He has also served on the Commerce Committee. In 2019, Mike Lee became the chairman of the Joint Economic Committee where he focuses on the Social Capital Project.
Mike Lee Wife, Children
In 1993, Mike Lee married Sharon Burr. They have three children together, Michael Lee Jr, James Rex, and Eliza Rose Lee. At present, they live in Alpine Utah.
Mike Lee Net Worth
It is reported that the estimated net worth of Mike Lee was about $111,002 in 2012. And the average annual salary was estimated at about $174,000. In 2018, his estimated net worth increased to $414,000 on average. He ranked 68th among the senators in 2018.
Mike Lee has published several books.
- ‘The Freedom Agenda: Why a Balanced Budget Amendment is Necessary to Restore Constitutional Government’, published in 2011.
- ‘Why John Roberts Was Wrong About Healthcare: A Conservative Critique of The Supreme Court’s Obamacare Ruling’, published in June 2013.
- ‘Our Lost Constitution: The Willful Subversion of America’s Founding Document’, published in 2015.
- ‘Written Out of History: The Forgotten Founders Who Fought Big Government’, published in 2017.
Mike Lee announced that he had tested positive for COVID-19, on 2nd October 2020. A few days prior, Mike had attended an event at the White House where he interacted with other individuals who also tested positive for coronavirus.
Mike Lee Social Media Accounts
Youtube: Senator Mike Lee
- The New York Times ranked Senator Mike Lee as the most conservative Senate member.
- He serves as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Mike served a two-year mission for the Church in the Texas Rio Grande Valley.
- Mike Lee earned the Eagle Scout award in 1989 from Boy Scouts of America.
- Lee was selected to receive the National Eagle Scout Association Outstanding Eagle Scout Award in 2011.
- Mike Lee described the Equality Act in May 2019 which ends discrimination against LGBT individuals.
- On July 17, 2019, Mike Lee was criticized on Fox News for blocking a bill that provided Victims Compensation Fund.